Technical Support Specialist I
Notice of Job Opening
Date: March 17, 2023
Department: Information Technology
Exp Date: Until Filled
Annual Salary: Min: $50,710 - Max: $55,785
Hours: 8:00 - 5:00pm (on call/nights weekends are sometimes required
Under general supervision of the Help Desk Supervisor, provides technical support to users by installing,
upgrading, troubleshooting, and maintaining end user desktop hardware and software. Sets up user profiles
and provides basic training to new users. Creates and maintains technical documentation related to end
user hardware and software. Maintains confidentiality of all privileged information.
Examples of Work:
- Analyzes and solves problems on computer applications and desktop systems for end users; provides a wide range of in-depth technical assistance to end users.
- Participates in emergency call out rotation.
- Ensures support is provided to customers in a professional, courteous, and timely manner. Tests, rebuilds, and upgrades computer hardware.
- Prepares and tests new computers. Installs software.
- Prepares computers for secure disposal.
- Installs, troubleshoots, and maintains IP based telephones.
- Analyzes current and proposed end user desktop hardware and software systems; maintains desktop systems.
- Provides individual and/or group new user set up and basic training on county desktop technologies.
- May serve as project team member for technology projects.
- Analyzes current and proposed end user hardware and desktop software systems; develops and maintains desktop systems.
- Assists with technical support for research and development initiatives for the implementation of new technologies.
- Reviews, evaluates, and recommends solutions for desktop hardware and software acquisitions.
- Provides desktop administration for user security and profile setup.
- Maintains a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems; participates in professional development activities.
- Ensures strict confidentiality of all information and records.
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
- Installs network cabling (Fiber, Cat5e, Cat6, etc).
- Performs other duties as required.
- Reviews, evaluates, and recommends solutions for hardware and software acquisitions as requested.
- Reviews, recommends, and implements in-house desktop policies and procedures.
- Develops and implements various training and instruction programs for users on the use of basic supported network, phone, and desktop application usage.
- Associates Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Library Information Systems or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related work experience.
- Two years of experience in desktop hardware and software support, which includes support of remote locations.
- Possess a valid Driver's license, good driving record, and a dependable mode of transportation.
- Successful completion of thorough background investigation, including FBI fingerprint check. Must not have been convicted of a felony.
- Successful completion of the pre-employment physical exam prior to commencing work.
- Be in good physical condition.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in area of expertise.
- Knowledge of desktop systems analysis.
- Knowledge of desktop computer hardware and software, including standard desktop applications.
- Knowledge of multi-profile network attached computer systems.
- Knowledge of federal copyright laws as they pertain to the use of computer software.
- Knowledge of computer security procedures and protocol.
- Skill in planning, organizing, and adapting within a multi-tasking environment.
- Skill in systematic trouble shooting and diagnosis of desktop computer problems on multiple hardware and software systems.
- Skill in effective customer support.
- Skill in communicating effectively, both orally and in writing on technical subjects.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to analyze complex computer problems and provide solutions.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds and with co-workers at all levels.
- Ability to provide technical guidance and instruction on the use of computer technologies to end users.
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel.
- Knowledge of network and telecommunication components.
- Knowledge of current Microsoft OS desktop system setup.
- Knowledge of the theory, design, and implementation of computer systems, networks, communications links, and operating systems.
- Ability to make sound technical decisions.
- Ability to integrate emerging technologies into current environment.
- Ability to implement computer systems and applications.
- Review technical support queue and ensure response as appropriate.
- Keep abreast of emerging operational support technologies and industry trends.
- Ability to logically analyze and clearly document problems and decide on the best course of action.
- Highly self-motivated and able to work on own initiative, good team worker, freely shares information
Desirable Training and Experience:
- Possess and maintain A+ and/or Net+ Certifications.
- ITIL Foundation certification.
- Previous experience with Microsoft Windows 10 & 11.
Ability to perform the essential functions of the job including ability to exert moderate, though not constant
physical effort, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and
crawling and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling objects and materials of light weight (1-35lbs).
Most work will be performed in an office environment. Some work is performed in an outdoor field environment. This
results in exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, noxious odors, gases, mechanical and electrical hazards,
hazardous traffic and all types of weather/temperature conditions. Ability to walk on various types of surfaces
including slippery and uneven surfaces, as well as, rough terrain.
General Online Application
If you have any additional questions please email or call Human Resources: +1 706 883 2037, firstname.lastname@example.org