Animal Services Officer
Notice of Job Opening
Date: February 24, 2022
Department: Police Deptartment
Pay Range: Depending on Qualifications
Performs routine and skilled work in apprehending, impounding, and caring for animals found in
violation of City Ordinance. Much judgment is required as the employee usually works independently of
other co-workers. Work is reviewed by the Animal Services Supervisor through observation and evaluation
of results obtained. Supervision over others is not exercised.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following examples of duties and associated tasks are typically performed by a person
in this position. No attempt is made to be exhaustive in this listing.
- Responds to police calls and citizens complaints to apprehend animals found in violation of City code.
- Investigates complaints; apprehends animals if found in violation.
- Feeds and cares for animals in shelter.
- Cleans and disinfects pen daily.
- Feeds animals and gives them fresh water daily.
- Washes feeding utensils daily.
- Assists in disposal of dead animals.
- Preforms euthanasia of animals; transports dead animals to Landfill for disposal.
- Picks-up dead animals in streets and transports to landfill for disposal.
- Patrol streets periodically to apprehend stray animals.
- Cleans trucks and takes to City Garage for needed repairs.
- Performs routine office duties.
- Answers phone and takes messages.
- Prepares necessary forms for adoption and redemption procedures.
- Unlocks doors in the morning; assures the doors are locked and building is secure at night.
- Maintains current and accurate records on all animals received and disposed of.
- Maintains building and grounds.
- Sweep floors, hoses down shelter daily and performs other cleaning as necessary.
- Endorses laws and ordinances the City.
- Checks and other animal bites, finds dog owners and orders quarantine.
- Impounds dogs that are not penned or under its owner’s control.
- Destroys and disposes of dogs not called for after specifies time delivers remains to City Landfill.
- Issued warnings and citations.
- Takes Court action against violators; appears in Court as witness.
- Assist in Puppy Pipeline transports.
- Take animals to veterinarian when necessary
- Prepares receipts for payment of fees from owners of animals and submits to city cashiers for proper accounting.
- Prepares records of animals impounded, animals destroyed, and animals adopted; submits monthly report of these activities.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Skill in the use of equipment assigned to this division such as trucks, 2-way radio, housekeeping equipment, catch poles and leashes.
- Knowledge of geography of the City.
- Knowledge of laws and ordinances relating to control of animals within the City.
- Knowledge of the handling and care of animals.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent and valid driver’s license.
- Ability to deal with stress involves in the humane destruction of animals.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to keep computer records.
- Ability to work harmoniously with fellow employees.
- Ability to deal with the public in a courteous and tactful manner under adverse conditions.
- Ability to lift objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
Applications will be screened to ensure the applicant meets the minimum qualifications. If selected for
testing, the applicant will be required to participate in an oral interview with the appropriate supervisor
for the available position. The expected duration of the selection process will be approximately three to
four weeks. Applicants not hired may re-apply for any further available positions for which they are qualified.
Police Department Civilian Application
If you have any additional questions please email or call Human Resources: +1 706 883 2037, firstname.lastname@example.org